Men singing and enjoying on board
Music on board particularly important, as their only entertainment was a diverse display of chants, songs, drumming and clapping that kept up their spirits and strengths.
1) Salim L Allam and a group of divers begin their journey.
2) Rowing to the pearl banks.
3) Ya Hey Lee Ya a short rhythmic chant while raising the sail.
4) Ya fajree (My dawn) often considered the favourite divers' song, slowly building to a climax.
Drums and pots were used while singing
5) Divers relaxing at the Dour in Muharraq, Bahrain.
Click to listen to the traditional music